Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Simon & Garfunkel (11/18/03)

I never thought I'd get the opportunity to review a Simon & Garfunkel show. I regularly listened to S&G throughout my childhood. After years of being a fan, they reunited for a summer tour in the 80s. I was a C.I.T. at overnight camp in Bemidji, Minnesota that summer. Some of the counselors got tix to the Minneapolis show and got one for me b/c they knew how much I loved S&G. I was psyched - this was going to be my first-ever rock concert. As I was getting in their car to go to the show, the camp owner stopped me. He said "you're 1/2 counselor and 1/2 camper - that means you're still on my insurance policy - there's no way you're going to a rock concert in Minneapolis." He made me forfeit the ticket and get out of the car. I was so pissed...little did I know that I'd be waiting a lifetime for the NEXT reunion tour! Thanks to my friend and former boss (see p. 164 of the Nov Vanity Fair), I was able to attend tonight's show and sit in incredible seats. I was seated just down the row from producer Rick Rubin and one of my heroes, Rob Reiner. Also sitting nearby was The Shermanator from American Pie (fascinating, huh).

This show was an A++ show. If it's coming to a city near you, it's worth the mortgage payment that they're charging. Don't miss it. These guys sound fantastic - as if the 20 years disappeared. Simon's voice, which still reaches the radio with new material, hasn't changed at all over time. Garfunkel's now has a slightly reedy quality that tends to come with high-voiced male singers in their 60s, yet is no less beautiful or powerful...especially after a few songs of warming up. He can still hit the high notes...and together they can literally send chills up and down the spine. I had a shit-eating grin through most of the show. Their between-song banter was entertaining. They lack the charm and hospitality of Crosby and Nash (whom I'm sure they influenced in a big way), yet are not as cold and lifeless as The Eagles. Paul Simon has that serious, business-like vibe of Sting...or an uptight accountant...so it's not like you see these guys getting off on each other's talent the way Crosby/Nash do, but they were all smiles by the final songs of the show. (Perhaps that's because they just learned that they could each afford to buy a country).

The band was amazing - the finest session guys out there (Pino Palladino on bass, Jim Keltner on drums, etc...). The songs recall a simpler time...that could be due to nostalgia...or the fact that the mid-60s WERE simpler times. Shit, any day before 9/11 was a simpler time at this point! The perfection of the show could be due to the fact that all of the songs were classics. There's no new album to drain the crowd's energy due to lack of exposure to the songs (or the songs being lame), there's no feeling of "we just saw this exact show last year" b/c it's been 20 years...Whatever the reason (amazing songs and talent), they owned the sold-out stadium tonight...and said they were truly surprised by the amazing feedback they're getting on this tour. It's rare to see a Los Angeles crowd feed this much energy back to a band...especially when the average age of the crowd is 45 or higher. But even the people in the highest, furthest back seats were freaking out during and after each song. At the end of the night, the entire room was up for grabs...and wouldn't stop applauding for 10 minutes past the show's conclusion. I hadn't seen that in a long time.

The show started with the 2 guys taking the stage together, with one acoustic guitar. Garfunkel either hasn't been paid any advance income for this tour OR is afraid that no one will remember him, because he's still wearing that same damn shirt and vest we last saw him photographed in 20 years ago. Doesn't he know that his odd-colored Jewfro gives him away? Anyway, Paul announced the passing of the incredibly talented Michael Kamen (Pink Floyd's The Wall, GNR's November Rain, Metallica's live orchestral album...) and dedicated the opening song to him. Some songs featured the entire band, others just the 2 guys. The middle of the show featured the inspiration for S&G, The Everly Brothers. The Everly Brothers played a mini-set of their greatest hits, which were truly great...total nostalgia. My mom (who would have turned 60 yesterday) used to listen to them when I was little. These dudes still sound great...songs you've heard a gazillion times...and HERE were the pioneers performing them. Here's the setlist:

Old Friends
Hazy Shade of Winter
I Am A Rock
America
At the Zoo
Baby Driver
Kathy's Song
Hey Schoolgirl
Wake Up Little Suzie (Everly Bros)
All I Have To Do Is Dream ("Dream Dream Dream", Everly Bros)
Let It Be Me (Everly Bros)
Bye Bye Love (Everly Bros w/S&G)
Scarborough Fair
Homeward Bound
Sound of Silence
Mrs. Robinson
Slip Sliding Away
El Condor Pasa (If I Could)
Keep The Customer Satisfied
The Only Living Boy In New York
American Tune
Cecilia
My Little Town
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Encore: The Boxer
Encore: Song For the Asking
Encore: Feelin' Groovy

This was an epic show. I hope I get the opportunity to see them again...and wish they would charge less so that more people would get to see this tour.

  • Email Luber
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home